Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year's Restorations

In my very first coocoo post I was thinking of Huevos Rancheros, so it seems like a good way to start the New Year. Also, there's no better breakfast when your New Year's Eve consisted of Amarula, gin, champagne and red wine. Probably not the best combination, more like committing very very slow hepatic suicide. What can I say. I HATE New Year's Eve.

I also hate New Year's Resolutions. It's a certain way to start the year feeling like a complete and utter failure. If you can't do it on the 18th of March or the 27th of November what on earth makes you think you can do it on the 1st of January?

 
So with that positive attitude, these are the New Year's Resolutions I'm absolutely sure I'll fail at:

I will be more optimistic – even though this is probably going to be a shit year 
I will be more tolerant – idiots are people too
I will be kinder to myself – it's not entirely my fault I'm unattractive overweight and coocoo

On the other hand, these are the New Year's Resolutions I'm absolutely sure I'll achieve:

 
I will not do the Comrades, the Argus or the Two Oceans
I will not visit Kuwait, Calcutta or Baghdad
I will not have sex with anyone younger than 18 or older than 80

And if I fail at the last one, feeling like a failure might be the least of my problems.

xx

HUEVOS RANCHEROS


1 Onion roughly chopped
2 Red peppers roughly chopped
3 Cloves garlic crushed
2 Chillis chopped
1T Dried chillis
4 Bay Leaves
2 Tins Chopped tomatoes (or 1 plain and 1 Mexican tomatoes)
4 Eggs
150g Chorizo sliced
1c Guacamole
1/2c Sour Cream
1 Ciabatta/French loaf/Portuguese rolls

Obviously the amount of chillis depends on how brave/hungover/still drunk you are. But don't leave them out. It's actually a relief to have the pain shift from your skull to your tongue…


Fry the onion, peppers, chilli, garlic and bay leaves until soft. Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes or so until it thickens a bit. Season with salt and lots of black pepper. Make wells in the tomatoes and break the eggs into them. Cover and allow the eggs to cook to your preference. Cover a slice of bread with the tomato mixture and an egg. Dot with guacamole and sour cream and tuck in. Trust me, restoration is only a few mouthfuls away!

0 comments: