Sunday 13 November 2011

Sass-erole

Allison and I argued tonight. There was a time when I was too terrified to disagree with her. Then the relatively brief period when I overshot and got too sassy. Now we just argue about everything.

It started with the casserole. She claimed they were fancy I assured her they were actually out of fashion. Since we were on food we reverted to our usual argument about her thinking my food in general is fancy while I, in turn, don't like cooking for her because I think she's too fancy for my food.

Next she told me she bought blue suede shoes. I was imbued with respect. Until I realised they were dove grey. She kept arguing they were blue. They. Were. Not. 

She punished me by hitting below the belt - she called Elvis tasteless. Sacrilege! We digressed slightly to argue about whether it's worse to die on the toilet like Elvis or drown in your vomit like Bob Marley. And whether it's worse to die on the toilet because of constipation or of diarrhea. Then, because I had already accused her of blaspheming for criticising Elvis she twisted the knife by criticising Einstein because he started the whole atomic bomb thing. I pointed out that he only created the theory not the bomb but she still accused him of mass murder. 

She seemed on a blaspheming roll so I warned her not to go near Dali. So of course she went there. She said he's only known for his pencil sketches. As if he scribbled! And then, and THEN, she called him pretentious! Pretentious! I remarked that Jackson Pollock was pretentious but then she only started making narky remarks about me and my fancy education. This from a woman with a law degree while I only have a BA. This from a woman who can play 30 Seconds against 30 professors and still win. 

Of course, right through all these arguments Chloe was there interjecting, riling, laughing and inciting. Somewhere along the line she even joined in to argue about Adele vs Beyonce. And there was the whole who's cooler, Eminem or Mick Jagger. And then the music video for Moves Like Jagger came on and, God help me, Allison said Adam Levine was too white. Too WHITE!

There was also an argument about what's more important - R7000 shoes or a R7000 truffle. (Truffle, duh!). Bottom line, we argued the entire time I was there.

MAN I love those guys!

xx
J

TRIPLE PORK AND BEAN CASSEROLE


12 Pork sausages
400g Chorizo sliced
400g Pork leg cut into blocks
2 Onions sliced
2 Cloves garlic crushed
1t Smoked paprika
2 Tins chopped tomatoes
1 Tin Mexican chopped tomatoes
600ml Chicken stock
45ml Tomato puree
2T Worcestershire sauce
2T Treacle/muscavado/brown sugar
2T Dried sage
1T Dried thyme
4 Bay leaves
200ml White wine
2 Tins butter beans

Fry the pork sausages on medium heat for 5 minutes until nicely browned, add the chorizo and fry for another 5 minutes. Remove both. Fry the onions until soft then add all the other ingredients except the beans and sausages. Simmer for an hour or so until the pork is soft. Add the sausages and beans and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.

2 comments:

lazy cook said...

When I moved from the big city, I moved away from my argue-friend, and I miss our disagreements so much! Why do people think it is polite to always agree?
I'm going to make the stuffed chicken recipe for my niece who is coming to visit, and she will be sufficiently impressed. She thinks her aunt spends the whole day on the sofa with a book!

The Coo-Coo Cook said...

You know what would be really cool? Send her a postcard (yah it's retro but it still exists) that just says "no it's not." :)

PS - Good choice for impressing the niece, it's easy but it doesn't show.