Saturday 27 August 2011

Hell's Kitchen

I made Blanquette de Veau last night. It's a classic French veal stew in a creamy sauce, made according to the Blanquette method whereby the meat is not browned during the cooking process (blanquette means white). It's simple yet robust, elegant but sensual. And may I say, it's vealy good. 

Yes yes, I know it's not funny. I'm killing off another baby cow. But look, the way I see it, I'm already doomed. On this blog alone I have killed:

8 Chickens
7 Baby Chickens
6 Cows
5 Pigs
4 Lambs
1 Baby Cow
1 Hake
1 Haddock
1 Salmon
20 Prawns

You see where I'm going with this? Exactly. Hell. Danté's Seventh Circle of Hell is for Violence so I figure I'll end up there. I looked it up to see what I'm in for and it seems I'll be in for a few unexpected surprises... turns out sodomites get sent there too! Eish.

Of course, since I constantly have food on my mind, I definitely qualify for the Third Circle of Hell - Gluttony. Personally, if I were to have a choice, I'd volunteer for the Second Circle of Hell - Lust. I know for a fact Robbie Williams will be there. And as Hell goes, that would be Heaven...
 

xx
J

PS - You are welcome to make the Blanquette with lamb or chicken but don't complain to me if you land in the Tenth Circle of Hell - Boredom.

BLANQUETTE DE VEAU


 2.5kg Veal stewing meat
1 Lemon
250ml White wine

3L Stock 
1 Onion 
4 Cloves
5 Cloves garlic peeled
Small handful thyme 

Small handful rosemary 
2 Bay leaves 
2 Sticks celery in chunks 
500g Small onions 
500g Mushrooms quartered
250ml Cream
4T Cornflour
4 Egg yolks

Wash the veal. Put into a pot with 1T salt and 2 lemon slices, then cover with cold water. Heat until boiling then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. From start to finish this took about 30 minutes for me. Strain and discard water. Wash the pot then put the veal in with the stock (you're supposed to use veal stock so I used half chicken half beef). Add the wine, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, onion with cloves stuck in, celery and carrots. Simmer for 2 hours. Meanwhile fry the mushrooms slowly for 10 minutes. Season and add the juice of the lemon. Soak the onions in boiling water for 15 minutes to make them easier to peel. Once peeled fry slowly for 10 minutes in 1/2c butter, 1/2c water and 1T sugar.  Strain the veal (keeping the liquid) and throw away all the vegetables. Melt 1/2c butter then add 1/2c flour and stir for a couple of minutes. Slowly add the stock from the veal and keep whisking to ensure the sauce stays smooth until all the stock has been added. Mix the cornflour with the egg yolks and the cream, then slowly mix into the sauce. (Keep the heat low you don't want the egg to scramble). Add the veal, the onions and the mushrooms and allow to simmer until thickened.
Serve on rice.

0 comments: