Wednesday 28 December 2011

And Exhale...

So much preparation. So much expectation. So much to do. So much done.

I'm gastronomically exhausted and braindead but pretty chuffed. It was a wonderful Xmas. I don't say this lightly. Xmas's aren't usually wonderful for me. More often than not I'm sobbing snottily in the bathroom because something was said that my too-sensitive-for-my-family-skin can't take. Something WAS actually said, it wouldn't be Xmas without it, but I bit down on the tranquilliser I had hidden à la cyanide in my cheek and got through it without nasal drip. (And I'm pretty chuffed about that too.)

Foodwise - I passed. Hallelujah. From Xmas Eve dinner to Xmas Day lunch everything was a success. OK, not everything. I had to redo the yule log because I decided at the 99th minute to try a new recipe I'd found that morning and of course it was a complete and utter trainwreck so I had to make another one. OK, it wasn't a trainwreck it had a crack in the top. So obviously I had to make another one. (The truth is less melodramatic but the end result was the same.)

I know normal people don't care so much. Their lives aren't affected. They have better things to do. They don't lie awake weeks in advance. They don't get up at 3 a.m. to check a recipe. They don't retest and redo and rethink and retry everything until they're sure it will work. But I guess they don't screw things up (or perceive that they screw things up) like I do. I bet when they finally sit down at the table they aren't gasping and panting sheened in sweat with drops of gravy adorning their Xmas blouses and hair sticking out in all directions with blobs of cranberry jelly dripping from it.

I've seen them on TV. Those People who whip things up and then lay them down on the table for salivating guests and ne'er a drop of sweat was formed. I guess these things come easy to them. They don't to me. I envy them. Occasionally, I hate them.

I don't know if I'm a good cook. I'm well aware that I'm a passionate fearful paranoid coocoo cook. But all I desperately desire is to get it right. And I did.

No offence, but I think it's unfair that Santa gets all the glory.

xx
J

SMOKED SALMON CRÈME FRAICHE AND CAVIAR BLINIS


150g Smoked salmon
1/2c Crème fraiche
1/3c Caviar
115g Buckwheat flour
115g Flour
Pinch salt
1 Egg
1 Egg white
5g Dry yeast
1t Caster sugar
350ml Warm milk
1/2T Melted butter

Sift the dry ingredients. Make a well, add the egg and mix. Combine the yeast, sugar and milk separately and leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Mix in with the flour and egg mixture to make a batter then add the melted butter. Cover with clingwrap and leave to stand for 1 hour. When ready to cook whisk the egg white then fold into the batter. Heat a little oil in a pan then pour small spoons of batter about gholfball sized. As soon as the bubbles appear you can flip them. They're just like crumpets. You should get about 20 out of the mixture depending on size. Allow to cool then cover with a dollop of crème fraiche, a slice of salmon and dot with caviar.   

TURKEY MEATBALLS WITH ORANGE AND CRANBERRY and BABY POTATOES WITH CRÈME FRAICHE AND CAVIAR


Meatballs

600g Ground turkey
2t Mixed seasoning (I combined poultry/Spike/garlic)
1t Salt
1/2t Black pepper
1/2t Worcestershire sauce
1/4t Cayenne
1 Egg
1/4c Milk
1/2c Breadcrumbs
1c Cranberry sauce (the disgusting ribbed jelly one that comes in a tin)
1/2c Orange marmalade
1/2c Chicken stock
1T Jalapeno peppers chopped
1T Red pepper chopped

Mix together everything up to the breadcrumbs and put in the fridge for at least an hour. Then make small meatballs, about ping pong size, I got about 25. Fry in a little oil on all sides until nicely browned. Meanwhile bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil then leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Add the meatballs and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until fully cooked.

Potatoes

10 Small potatoes cut in half
1/3c Crème fraiche
1T Lemon juice
1t Thyme
1/4c Caviar

Slice a little bit off the bottom of each potato half so it stands upright. Season with salt and pepper then bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool. Mix together the crème fraiche, lemon and thyme and season. Spread on the potatoes and dot with caviar.

CAPRESE KEBABS and PIGS IN BLANKETS


Kebabs

10 Baby tomatoes cut in half
20 Basil leaves
150g Buffalo mozzarella cut into 20 pieces

Marinade everything for 1 hour with some salt, pepper and a little olive oil then thread onto toothpicks.

Pigs

20 Pork chipolatas
10 Pieces of streaky bacon
20 Sage leaves
3T Honey
2T Whiskey

Drop the sage leaves into some boiling water for a couple of seconds then straight into cold water. Dry on kitchen towel then toss in some olive oil. Carefully scrape the back of a knife over the streaky bacon to stretch it so it doesn't shrink around your chipolata. Cut in half. Put a sage leaf on each chipolata then wrap in half a bacon. Put on a well oiled baking tray. Mix together the honey and whiskey and pour half of the glaze over the chipolatas. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Turn them around carefully, pour over the rest of the glaze and bake for another 15 minutes. Don't drain on kitchen towel but remove from the tray onto a plate so they can drain off some of the oil but keep the lovely sticky.

CHEESECAKE WITH SOUR CREAM AND CRANBERRY COULIS


I did Jamie Oliver's cheesecake again (posted under Bye Bye Bin Laden). Honestly, I've tried 2 other cheesecakes in the weeks approaching Xmas and they're just not as good. I did, for variety, use lemon juice instead of lime juice though, added a sour cream topping and cranberry coulis. I decorated the cheesecake with some coulis but served most of it on the side - in my experience some people like the tang, some don't. 

200ml Sour cream
1T Caster sugar
2t Lemon juice

Allow the cheesecake to cool in the tin for a couple of hours at least. Then combine and spread the sour cream topping over. Leave for another couple of hours in the fridge before adding the coulis.

200g Frozen cranberries
75g Caster sugar
1T Lemon juice
1/2c Water

Bring to the boil then allow to simmer until thickened. Strain through a sieve and discard solids. Pour on top of the sour cream or pattern through and serve the rest on the side.  

0 comments: