Monday 31 October 2011

Spring Chicken

I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the line I got old. Not dead old, not geriatric, but as the saying goes, I'm no spring chicken. I know this, because more and more I find myself not only feeling like a tannie, but worse, not caring. (A sure sign of old age).

I actually used to look forward to getting old. I was shy and insecure so it sounded great to become one of those old tannies who walked to the shop in their pajamas, giving everyone that stared the finger. And sure enough, I've just dropped some tupperware at my neighbour. In my pajamas. It was only two doors down, but it's a slippery slope. Two doors today, two blocks tomorrow then, before you know it, you're shuffling between two shopping centres in your slippers looking for baked beans on special.

And let me not even get started on all the sexy varsity students crawling around Obz. Getting hot and bothered around them has a whole new meaning these days. When I do speak to them now it's not to ask them to go down but to keep it down. I used to wanna tap that now I just wanna smack that.

So be it. As long as I'm still capable of fowl [sic] thought, I'm OK that I'm not a spring chicken anymore. The truth be told, I may be too old for a young rooster, but I'm certainly young enough for an old cock. Ahem. 

xx
J

CHICKEN SPRING ROLLS


400g Chicken cut very small
8 Dried mushrooms soaked for half an hour, drained and chopped finely
(I used Chantarelle but you're supposed to use Chinese)
150g Beansprouts
4 Spring onions sliced lengthwise
2 Small carrots julienned
2T Kikkoman soya 
2T 5 Spice powder
2t Ginger grated
2T Oyster sauce
30 Spring Roll wrappers (about 15cm square)
2t Maizena mixed with 2t water 
Sweet chilli sauce

Fry the chicken and mushrooms until done then add in the soya and the 5 spice powder. Cool, then mix together with the rest of the vegetables, the 5 spice, ginger and oyster sauce. Season to taste. Lay two spring rolls on top of each other pointy side up. Put about 2T in the centre then bring in the sides. Start rolling up the filling from the bottom then stick the wrapper down with the Maizena. Fry, drain well and serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce.

2 comments:

lazy cook said...

I never see any comments, June - and I worry that you will think no-one reads your blog and then you will stop writing - so, I love reading it. I'm living the hermit life in Langebaan, not exactly the centre of the universe, after a lifetime in the big city. Compared to the stifling ordinariness here, you are a welcome breath of individuality!

coocoocook said...

Hey lazy cook and thank you so much for the comment and the nice words! No one else comments so i've assumed i'm spitting in the wind - i'm glad there's someone out there... And on the west coast nogal (i'm from saldanha!)