Friday 30 September 2011

Cox Ina House

Or rather, Coxinhas, (pronounced Co-shi-nas). With little Miss Cox visiting. Mommy Cox is away on temporary assignment and I have become temporary mother. It's high up there with one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

I've always been terrified of becoming a mother. I was convinced I'd screw my child up royally with my insecurities and my neuroses and my fears. I'd make her feel as fat as I feel, as ugly as I feel, as convinced no one will ever love her as I feel. So I left that job to the better people, the more qualified people, who deserved to have a fragile life in their hands and who were able to protect and care for it without cracking it or irreparably destroying it. 

But a couple of years ago I was asked to become godmother to a ready-baked 8 year old and instead of remembering my destructive tendencies I said yes. So here I am. With child, so to speak. And goddamnit doesn't she come all packaged and wrapped and ribboned with insecurities and neuroses and fears! What in God's name am I supposed to do with that? I can tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to put her to bed, take an Alzam and drink a lot of gin to drown out the nauseating fear. I'm sure Dr Phil would have a better plan of action, but he's welcome to drag his bald ass over here and implement it. (I'll be the one on the Lay-Z-Boy in the corner, just follow the sound of clinking ice cubes.)

I want her mother to come back. I want her mother to come back and be her mother. I want to be the godmother/aunty that buys presents and takes her out or has her over for the night to watch Finding Nemo and eat enough sweets to make her puke. But holding her precious soul in my hands? 

No thank you. Mommy Cox come home. Please.

xx
J

COXINHAS


1L Milk
1T Butter
5 Chicken stock cubes
1kg Flour
400g Chicken breasts
1 Onion chopped
2 Garlic cloves crushed
200ml Tomato puree
2T Parsley chopped
1/2c Spring onion chopped
100g Philadelphia cream cheese
300g Breadcrumbs
2L Sunflower oil
Tabasco & Limes

Pour boiling water over the chicken breasts until just covered and crumble in 1 stock cube. Simmer slowly for 10 minutes, allow to cool then shred. Fry onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil until soft. Add the chicken, tomato puree, parsley, spring onions, crumble in 2 stock cubes and season. In a large saucepan bring the milk, butter and 1t salt to a boil. Turn the heat down low, add all the flour in one go and stir for 10 minutes (you better have been doing weights cause this gets pretty difficult!). Switch off the heat and allow to cool slightly then knead for 5 minutes while still in the pan. Roll the dough into golf-sized-balls. Use your thumb to make a dent in the middle then pinch it until you have the shape of a deep bird's nest with the walls being a bit less than a centimetre in thickness. Place 1t of cream cheese inside, followed by 1-2t of the chicken mixture. Pinch the top together and keep shaping until you have a teardrop. Dip in ice water, then in crumbs, then deep fry until golden. Serve with lots of lime and lots of Tabasco.

0 comments: