Tuesday 6 September 2011

Battle Cries

The Springboks have landed on enemy soil, ready to do battle. A battle I'm not sure I'm ready for. I'm still suffering from PTSD following the Cricket World Cup. The flashbacks, the trauma, the pounding heart, the dripping sweat, the violent projectile vomiting...

Ah yes, I have many such happy World Cup memories. I remember with unfortunate clarity the day I met Fabs' parents and her baby brother. Cricket World Cup 1992. A tormenting ordeal during which rain and shortsighted moronic rules required us to get 22 runs off 1 ball. To be fair, it wasn't England's fault that they won. To be fair, who gives a shit. I came storming down the passage, flung Fabs' door open and with livid fury screamed "THOSE *%$# ENGLISH *%$#!!! (Oh and trust me, those were *%$# hectic swearwords...). Her parents stared at me blankly. They had gone into shock. They proceeded to howdoyoudo me kindly, but their skin was pale and grey, their hands cool and clammy, their eyes glassy and dilated. Ah yes, good times...

So here we are again. World Cup time. Those glorious few weeks marked by battle cries - mine. The sobbing and wailing can be heard blocks away. The KFC staff across the road sit and smoke outside, waiting for customers that will never venture anywhere near Obz again.  

There is nothing I can do. I can't even pray, God doesn't take sides. But I can cook. And cook I will as my nerves unravel and shred with every game. On Friday I started with Bobotie to channel some Afrikaner spirit to the Boys. But soon I might have to serve a kangaroo on a stick with a kiwi down it's flippen throat. And when I say kiwi I don't mean the fruit, I don't mean the bird - I mean the Richie McCaw. 

Let the battle begin.

xx
J

BOBOTIE WITH YELLOW RICE


8T Oil
2kg Mince
3 Onions chopped
2T Butter
4 Garlic cloves crushed
4t Salt
2t Pepper
4T Curry
4t Turmeric
2t Cinnamon
4T White wine
5 Slices white bread
3T Sugar
4t Apricot jam
5T Chutney
1c Milk
500ml Buttermilk
8 Eggs
10 Bay leaves
2T Butter

Soak the bread in the milk. Fry the mince in the oil until browned. Remove from the pan and fry the onions and garlic slowly in the butter until soft. Add the mince, salt, pepper, curry, turmeric, cinnamon and white wine and fry for a few minutes. Crumble the bread and add with the milk. Add the sugar, apricot jam and chutney and mix well. Spread into an oven dish. Mix the buttermilk with the eggs and pour over. Use a fork to ensure it soaks through. Decorate with the bayleaves and dot with the 2T butter. Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes.  

Yellow Rice
  
2c Rice
5c Water
2t Salt
4t Turmeric
4 Sticks cinnamon
1c Seedless raisins
4T Honey/syrup
4T Butter

Boil the rice in the water with the salt and turmeric until done then rinse. Add 1/2c boiling water with the cinnamon and raisins, stir and cover. Simmer on medium for another 10 minutes until the raisins are puffy. Stir in the honey/syrup and butter.

0 comments: