Wednesday 22 February 2012

When I Croquette

I suffer from Alzheimers. Well not really but close. My memory sucks. "I told you that" is a familiar accusation. (Followed by "No you didn't" -  I live for denial). My childhood memories are practically non-existent. To tell the truth, the two old people that keep parking off here eating all my food are completely unknown to me. I let them come because they're pleasant enough and they think they're my parents. Shame, I feel sorry for them, I actually think they suffer from Alzheimers...

Anyhow, the other day the fog of my memory lifted and I remembered the delicious croquettes we used to buy on a Sunday night from the Dutch restaurant in town - Hoek van Holland. It was owned by Tannie Femmy and I had the poor woman tracked down and tortured until she gave up her recipe. 

It made me realise that despite all her other accomplishments Tannie Femmy will, in my mind, only be remembered for her croquettes. And I wondered - what will I be remembered for? Will I only be remembered for my brownies or will there be something a bit more substantial in my eulogy? I told Allison the other night that I think when you die, all your bad points become endearing. I envisioned people sobbing inconsolably while she stood on the podium talking about my "quirks":

"Remember how she never used to get her timesheets/invoices/VAT out on time, if ever? How self critical and over sensitive she was? And how you'd tell her a hundred things and a week later she'd deny you ever told her a thing?" (Cue affectionate laughter and more tears.)

Allison says I'm wrong. Dead or alive I'll still be just as annoying. Prove her wrong. When I croak, let me be remembered for my endearing/charming qualities, good or bad. And just in case you can't think of any, I'll make a list and give it to those two old people to keep. As soon as I finish my timesheets.

xx
J

CHICKEN CROQUETTES


300g Chicken
120g Margarine
210g Flour
3 Eggs
1/2t Nutmeg
1/4t Paprika
3t Salt
1t Black pepper
1t Aromat
750ml Chicken stock
1.5c Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs

Place the chicken in one layer in a pan or pot so it lies snugly. Cover with the stock and bring to the boil. Cover partly with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer very slowly for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave on the stove in the water for another half an hour. Drain, reserving 600ml of the stock. Shred the chicken.

Melt the margarine, add the flour and cook for a minute or so. Slowly add the stock, making a thick white sauce. Mix in 1 egg yolk, the spices and chicken and allow to cool.

Shape the mixture into sausages, about 12cm x 5cm, wetting your hands to make it easier. Whisk the rest of the eggs, then dip the croquettes into the crumbs, then the eggs, then back into the crumbs. Put in the fridge to firm up for half an hour. Heat your oil to 180C and deep fry for 2-3 minutes. You can also freeze them and then deepfry from frozen in which case heat your oil to 170C and fry for 3-5 minutes.

0 comments: